Scrap.Abode (warehouse) OPEN DAYs

The Scrap.Abode is only OPEN every Wednesday (10:00am to 1:00pm) every month for walk-ins.

Please follow our Instagram and Facebook account and subscribe to our Newsletters for the latest news, flash sales and more.

Enjoy 50% off selected items from Scrap-n-Crop.com RED DOT SALE when you visit us on our Open Days | please email us 24 hours prior to the Open Day if you'd like to self collect your online orders at the Scrap.Abode

Monday, December 24, 2012

Kill Your Monday Blues with Hils Hints: SnC Christmas KOTM



Early Christmas with SnC's Christmas KOTM

Christmas came early for me this year, when Valerie sent me a gorgeous festive kit to play with at the start of the month!  

It was filled with goodies, and I couldn’t wait to start playing with it!

The first things that caught my eye were the Making Memories Traditions Shimmer Paper, with a beautiful tree and the word Believe, and the sparkly Making Memories Glitter Bling frame.  

As soon as I saw these, I was reminded of some photos of my son meeting Santa on a pre-school trip.

The photos weren’t that good, but I thought if I used them small (not usually my style, but sometimes you have to work with what you’ve got!), and highlighted one with the frame, they could work well.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 


At first, I tried to use the paper as the base, but the positioning of the tree just wasn’t right for the title and photo I wanted to use.  So instead I decided to go for a more layered look, and used the Crate Paper Snowy Day Collection Festive as my base, with the Little Yellow Bicycle Decorative Edge Cardstock on top for contrast.

I put lots of Crystal Stickles on the tree, and covered the word Believe in them too.  The title was downloaded from the Silhouette online store.

There was a second photo, but this just didn’t fit the layout, and so I mounted it on some of the MM paper, stapled a Christmassy ribbon to it, and hid it under the bottom of the tree.  A couple of embellishments – a Paperie felt clip, also from MM, and a charm I picked up in Chinatown, completed the layout.


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 


Did you know you can make a whole mini-book out of just two sheets of Simple Stories paper?  

They are all double-sided, and are meant to be cut up to fit into multi-pocket scrapbook inserts.  But this also makes it easy to create a mini album instead.  I had two sheets of their 25 Days of Christmas.  One had two 6x12 elements – I cut each of these in half, giving me four 6x6 pieces which I used to cover chipboard for the front and back covers.  The other sheet had two 6x8 elements, which I cut down to 5.5” square to make inside pages.  It also had three 4x4” quotes, which I inserted between the bigger pages for added interest. 

The title was created with Tim Holtz Sizzix alpha strips (they are perfect for mini books, just the right size fonts).  The ribbon and the bow were recycled from Christmas wrapping, and all the other embellishments have been collected over the years – this book gave me a good excuse to use loads of them!



.
I’ve still got enough of my kit left to make a good half a dozen or cards.  I’ve loved playing with it – all that new scrapbooking stash in one go, all co-ordinated and ready to use! – and it represents really good value for money too.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
HINTS!!! {hot tips}
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Don’t waste your gorgeous papers when you layer them – gut the bits that are covered by other papers, and you’ll still have enough left for another layout or a couple of cards.  For example, the Crate Paper in my first layout only shows in the corners.  Before I used it, I cut a circle, smaller than the red die-cut one, from it.  Now I have another, different, Christmassy die-cut that I can use on another layout!


No comments:

Share This Post

Related Posts with Thumbnails